I have a rule for myself: no. sad. salads. We’ve all been there. Romaine lettuce with boiled chicken on top. Fat-free dressing that probably came out of some chemical lab experiment. No toppings, no colors, no flavors, no… desire to eat, right? When faced with these kind of salads, I used to either make it an hour before I was caving for a cheeseburger or a sleeve of Oreos. And now it’s no surprise why: I was simply hungry and unsatisfied! So now I have a rule when it comes to salads: I only eat them (and recommend them to others) if they’re full of flavor, textures, colors, and just as enjoyable as any other non-salad meal.
This one fits the bill. It’s a summer salad full of big chunks of avocado, sweet strawberries, fresh basil, crunchy walnuts, a tangy balsamic reduction, and creamy feta cheese. (Feel free to leave it off if dairy doesn’t get along with you.) It’s pretty enough for a party, but simple enough if you just want to stare it down yourself. I hope you love it as much as I do. Then feel free to steal my mantra as your own: no. sad. salads! Ever again my friend.
Summer Strawberry Avocado Salad with Balsamic Reduction
Time: 15 – 20 minutes
- 1 avocado
- 2 c. strawberries
- ½ c. walnuts, chopped
- ½ c. feta cheese crumbles
- ¼ c. fresh basil
- 1 c. good quality balsamic vinegar
- Pour balsamic vinegar into small saucepan. Turn heat to medium-high and bring to boil.
- Once boiling, reduce to simmer, stirring frequently for 10 minutes so balsamic doesn’t burn.
- Once balsamic has thickened and reduced, remove from heat and let cool.
- Slice the avocado in half. Remove pit, then scoop out insides with a spoon. Cut into chunks.
- Cut the ends off the strawberries. Cut the strawberries in half, then into ¼” slices.
- Gently mix together the avocado, strawberries, walnuts, feta cheese, and fresh basil.
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction, then serve.
For more healthy recipes, download my free guide: 40 Recipes to Satisfy All Your Cravings. Or my complete guide for How to Find Healthy Meal Ideas (Fast!) — Whether You Like to Cook or Not.