Fun fact: In my twenties, I used to keep a bag of Hershey’s kisses in the glovebox of my car. I loved them so much that, Halloween or not, I could plow through a handful of chocolate morsels like nobody’s business.
Once I learned more about nutrition — and the impact a few dozen Hershey’s kisses could be having on my body day in and day out — I knew I wanted find a healthy way to make them. I wasn’t going to boot them from my life, but I also wanted to find a way to make them nourishing, nutrient-dense, and hormone-boosting. Now, these little morsels have been upgraded to being a regular in my kitchen AND a sweet treat I feel good about eating.
If you’re looking for a healthy Halloween candy that is as rich, creamy, and chocolatey as the real deal, these are for you. They take less than 5 minutes to make, and can be kept in your freezer for whenever a craving strikes. They’re also extremely customizable; for example, you can add mint, goji berries, or crunchy quinoa.
Just take a look at the nutrient powerhouses in this recipe:
- Cocoa powder is a good source of magnesium, helping muscles like your heart contract more rhythmically.
- Coconut oil is naturally anti-inflammatory and nourishing for your digestive tract.
- Sea salt supports your adrenals, the glands working overtime on stressful days.
- Maple syrup releases slower into your bloodstream than white sugar, and has more minerals and vitamins.
Get ready for your new favorite healthy Halloween candy… even if it turns into a year-round staple.
Healthy Halloween Candy: Melt-In-Your Mouth Paleo Chocolates
1/4 c. coconut oil
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
3 T. real maple syrup
1 t. vanilla extract
Sea salt flakes, pinch
- Add coconut oil, cocoa powder, maple syrup, and vanilla to a saucepot.
- Stir over medium heat until melted and creamy.
- Pour over a parchment-lined cookie sheet, or into a chocolate mould.
- Sprinkle with sea salt flakes.
- Place in freezer for at least 15 minutes to harden.
Keep in freezer until ready to eat, as coconut oil will melt at room temperature.
I can’t wait to hear what you think of these. Tag me on Instagram when you make them so I can give a shout-out!